The Spanish Caribbean: Criollización

Criollización del Caribe 

La Plena

La Plena and Bomba
(https://www.wfmt.com/wp-content/uploads/2027/06/iStock-1141498766-2.jpg)

By now, you're probably confident that I'm a music connoisseur, which wouldn't be wrong at all. Whether it's drowning out to slow melodies or rupturing my eardrums with high-pitched beats, I certainly do have quite the colorful palette. This reason is why when I heard the energetic heavy percussions of Plena, commonly known as La Plena, I couldn't help but be intrigued. Of course, when my eyes landed on the beautiful dancers in their colorful and unique dresses, the entrance was complete. Now, I'm not encouraging others to objectify, but we all eat with our eyes first. Nonetheless, back to the subject, this creolized blend of African beats and Puerto Rican style. 



Like most musical traditions in the Caribbean, Plena was used to communicate for the working class. We've all had our share of the stress and complications a job brings. However, don't think I've ever created my own vibrant style from it-- but I probably should. Of course, Plena also became a way to critique political changes that didn't align with the public interest. Which, now that I think of it, is an excellent way to pleasantly disagree with others. Huh, maybe I should try this musical creolization thing after all. Though, doubt my boss would enjoy the lyrics I'd sing. Oh well. 


PLENA DE PUERTO RICO - Popurrí 

Of course, there has to be a music video. I just can't keep these luxurious sounds to myself. So, I take time to share it with you, the audience, the reader, the one in charge of my blog's success in more ways than one. Alas, aside from me impersonating the infamous Joe from the lovely twisty Netflix-exclusive series 'You', the video above truly is a beautiful introduction to La Plena. There are the instruments in use, such as hand drums Panderatus, Güiros, and I do hear but don't entirely see some Maracas. Luckily, my bad eyesight doesn't matter when it comes to comprehending the youthful melodies of Popurri's rendition of the song. Definitely should go for a replay. I know I did. 


Arroz Con Gandules

La Plena Restuarant.
Chicago, IL

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/s)

As always, our outside example comes in the form of food. I mean, what could be better than being enthralled by the fantasy of delicious traditional cuisine? And in this case, the meal of the day is Arroz Con Gandules, a Peurto Rican dish that reminds me heavily of Bahamian cuisine. Now, to say Arroz is just rice would be a crime. Likewise, comparing it to combination kinds of rice, such as the many renditions of Asian Fried Rice, wouldn't be entirely accurate. Of course, a tutorial on making it and a deconstruction of the ingredients will follow later. But for now, let's just admire the successful chain of La Plena restaurants across the United States of America. The chain's a beacon of how traditional dishes can coexist and compete with mainstream culinary. I would insert an inspiring quote about staying true to your roots. Though, I'd instead focus on the subject at hand, Arroz Con Gandules. Now, let's see how this dish is made because I'm sure you'll feel hungry after this!




Arroz Con Gandules

Now, there was a rather tasty 'Tasty' video that's quick to the point with all the labeled ingredients as some stranger's hands make our creolized dish of the day. However, in the spirit of traditionalism, I figured it'd be better to choose a longer video where the individual explains every step. I didn't watch it entirely, because I'd of been making the dish rather than finishing this blog. However, from the comments to the first ten minutes, it's clear Chef Carmen Felix knows what she's doing. Of course, don't have to stick to the recipe. If you wish, can reinvent it in your own way probably. Whatever it may be, enjoy. Now, back to the stove before the water burns because I've got to try this out. Wish me luck! 


Comments